Flutter is a mobile app SDK (Software Development Kit) for building high-fidelity, high-performance, apps for iOS and Android.
With powerful animation and graphics libraries, the Flutter platform makes it easy to create personal interfaces that respond easily to touch.
Built on the Dart programming language, and arranges a fast development workflow with hot reloading, so you can quickly iterate on your code.
How does Flutter help with app development?
Flutter is an open-source software development kit that enables easy and seamless cross-platform mobile app development. You can quickly create high quality natively compiled apps for iOS and Android without having to write code for both apps separately.
Flutter simplifies the process of creating consistent and beautiful user interfaces for apps and primarily supports mobile app development. Flutter now supports app development for six platforms: iOS, Android, the web, Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
Cross-platform app development
Cross-platform app development allows developers to use one programming language and one codebase to build an application for multiple platforms. If you’re releasing an application for multiple platforms, cross-platform app development is less costly and time-consuming than native app development.
This process also lets developers create a more consistent experience for users across platforms.
This approach can have drawbacks compared to native app development, including limited access to native device functionality. However, Flutter has features that make cross-platform app development smoother and highly performant.
What programming language is Flutter based on?
Apps for Google’s new platform, Fuchsia, are developed directly with Dart. Its structure is similar to that of well-known object-oriented programming languages such as Java or C#.
For example, one feature of Dart used in Flutter is sound null safety. Dart’s sound null safety makes it easier to detect common bugs called null errors. This feature reduces the time developers spend on code maintenance and gives them more time to focus on building their applications.
Some of the top features of Flutter include:
- Dart programming language: Flutter uses the Dart programming language, which is easy to learn and allows you to develop high-quality apps.
- Native performance: Flutter apps are compiled to native code, giving you the best possible performance on both iOS and Android
- Hot reload: Flutter’s “hot reload” feature lets you quickly and easily make changes to your app without restarting it.
- Open source: Flutter is an open source project, which means you can use it for free and contribute to the platform’s development.
- Expressive and flexible UI: Flutter’s UI elements are built using the same principles as Google’s Material Design guidelines, giving you an expressive and flexible way to create beautiful apps.